How will you know if you have a musty smell HVAC? Simple. If there is a lingering musty smell in your home, there is a high possibility that it is coming from your HVAC system. You need to do something about that.
A musty smell is like a moldy, stale, and unclean smell. This is usually caused by something that has been left in a damp state without being aired out. It has to be noted that this smell takes time to develop. That means you need to check this out as soon as possible. If the source had been in that state, you can expect a bit of decal or molds too. That has to be dealt with immediately.
Why you need to deal with the musty smell HVAC
There are a couple of reasons why you need to have this dealt with.
- It is unpleasant. It will feel uncomfortable over time. It can also distract you from your daily tasks.
- It can cause physical ailments. Believe it or not, a strong scent can affect your body. If it is an unpleasant smell, it can lead to a headache. Not only that, it can make your stomach queasy and unstable.
- It can be embarrassing. If you have guests over, it can be embarrassing when they smell it. Your home is a reflection of who you are. If your home has an unpleasant smell, that speaks volumes about your personality.
These are only a few of the reasons why you need to get rid of that musty smell. Now the question is, how can you get rid of this smell?
How your HVAC can be the source of the musty smell
Any part of your home can cause your house to have this musty smell. But most of the time, it is a simple case of a musty smell HVAC. This happens because of the following reasons.
- Your HVAC system has built-up layers of dust over time. At least, it would if you do not clean it regularly. This can affect the air coming from the vents.
- There is excess moisture because it is not draining properly. This means there is a clog somewhere or one part of the HVAC unit is not working properly. You have to get this fixed to avoid bigger damage.
- A poorly designed HVAC system can also compromise airflow conditions. This means the odor from one place might be spread throughout the house.
Getting rid of musty smell HVAC
Once you have confirmed that you have a musty smell HVAC, it is time for you to act on it. Here are some of the tips that you can do to deal with this issue.
- Clean your HVAC system. You need to complete a couple of tasks to make this happen. First of all, you have to check the air filter. If it is clogged, you have to clean it or replace it with a new one. You should also check the ductwork and make sure it is clean. There are times when it becomes infested by pests. Another thing that might be clogged is the drain. If the water is not draining properly, it might cause some mildew and molds. It can lead to musty smells. Finally, you should check the vents and ensure that it is clear and the design is correct.
- Improve the airflow of the HVAC. This might not be as simple as cleaning the HVAC. Sometimes, the musty smell is coming from the airflow that is going through the kitchen or the bathroom. You have to correct this. No matter how often you clean the HVAC system, you will not get rid of the smell.
Once you have dealt with the musty smell HVAC, you can now breath easily in your home. There is nothing like going home to a clean house – even more so when it smells good.